Saturday, October 17, 2009

Going Digital

This week, it was decided that, to save money, we wouldn’t print any more materials and instead rely solely on email, so I converted the flyer I designed before into an email format and we abandoned the idea of printing full-color posters. At the Friday team meeting, we were wondering how and when to pass out the custom fortune cookies that Stephanie ordered. They said “Find YOUR fortune at The Professional Forum … CLA Career Development Presents a Career and Internship Fair – November 3, 2009,” and we all thought this would be a cute and clever way to get the word out about the Forum. I suggested, since Halloween was coming up, that we could do a kind of trick-or-treating thing on Friday, October 30 to hand out the cookies. Everyone liked that idea, and we’re going to pick up some lime green jack-o-lantern buckets to complete the look (since lime green has been the unofficial CLA Career Development color). I designed the “golden tickets” for our invitation-only networking event at the Forum, and Lisa gave me a new project as well: a seven-foot-tall standing banner for the Career Development Office! This banner would stay around for years, and Lisa put it entirely in my hands, declaring me the “project manager!” Many academic programs and other departments in the College of Liberal Arts have this kind of display banner, and I met with associate dean Barbara Dixon for information on how to design the banner while keeping with the visual style of the existing departmental banners. I began work on designing the layout and looking for stock photos. I worked for ten and a half hours this week.

I didn’t encounter any real problems this week, in fact, everything seemed to be going my way. I was a little nervous meeting with the associate dean, but I acted confident and the nerves soon went away. I am very excited that Lisa has given me so much responsibility with this banner project; she really wants to make sure we work on meaningful projects and get experiences that will apply to our futures. I will likely be completely in charge of a project at some point in my professional future, so this will definitely apply!

No comments:

Post a Comment