Saturday, October 24, 2009

Take Evasive Action!

This week, I emailed Lisa two possible designs for the “golden ticket” and we decided on one. I hand-delivered the files to printing services in Beering and picked out some gold card stock. I worked a lot on designing the banner and came up with two concepts that I will refine further. On Tuesday, I met with Lisa in her office and helped with a few final touches on the student-targeted section of the website for the Forum and talked to Jodi about stock photos. The CLA had a few images that could have worked if they were larger, but nothing was big enough to suit our needs, so I’ll be scouring the internet for the images we need. One of the stock photos I had grabbed a watermarked comp of from iStockPhoto really caught Lisa’s eye, and we may end up buying it. After our team meeting on Friday, we handed out flyers with the ambassadors in the lobby of Beering. The flyers were extra copies of the postcard; we had originally ordered enough for every liberal arts student, but only mailed them out to those who lived on-campus.

The only problem I encountered this week was that many students did not want our flyers. They employed various evasive tactics: avoiding eye contact, pretending to be on the phone, trying to sneak behind us… but the most disheartening were those students who just snapped “no” when one of us approached, flyer in hand. I didn’t take it personally, though, an I’ll need a thick skin to deal with criticism and rejection anyway. I also learned that sometimes you have to be more assertive to get people to pay attention to what you have to say, which could come in handy when promoting myself professionally in the future.

No comments:

Post a Comment